|Food and Water Waste
and water waste is a severe problem in the ecosystem; globally 200
million tons of food have been wasted in 2019 so far. This is just in
May and the months before. The number will increase to a much higher
number by the end of the year. All the waste is unnecessary. The
food waste from the United States and Europe in May and the months
preceding could feed the entire world three times over. The world could
be helping the poor and the refugees, but instead we throw it out
without using it. Water is also wasted unnecessarily. It takes water to
make food so water is wasted too. Over 834 billion tons of water have
been used in meat production alone and rising. Leaving the tap on while
brushing teeth can waste two gallons of water every minute. A bath can
use twice as much water as a shower does. A average bathtub can contain
80 gallons of water. Water and food is a part of many other resources
that are being used unwisely.
Ways to conserve food and water:
1. Avoid buying food that is readily available in the house.
2. Saves resources from the manufacturing of food, transporting it, selling it and then transporting the waste to landfills.
3. Plan all meals for the week before making the meals.
4. Take showers instead of baths because baths use more water than showers, so showers save water
5. Turn the water on only when necessary when brushing teeth.
Doing this conserves food and water and reduces pollution.
energy has been a problem for decades. Every year we use more energy
than the last. In America, the amount of energy we use doubles about
every 20 years. A lot of the energy we use isn’t free; we have to pay
for it. If we waste it, then we are wasting money. About 130 billion
dollars worth of energy is wasted by Americans every year. The United
States wastes a lot energy because we have a huge population and we use
a lot of fossil fuels. We use these fossil fuels to power vehicles like
cars, planes, and motorcycles. Wasting energy also harms the
environment a lot. Energies like coal, oil, and natural gas cause
pollution. Pollution is a very huge problem in our world. The process
of mining for fossil fuels hurts the environment. We are digging up the
Earth to find these energies. Many energies that we use, such as fossil
fuels are nonrenewable resources because the fossil fuel burns and is
consumed. There are some byproducts, as the fuels burn, such as steam
or carbon dioxide. So it is very important not to waste resources, or
else there will be no more.
Here are some tips about how to conserve energy.
1. Use the microwave instead of the oven for cooking your meals.
2. You should not leave the refrigerator door open. Whenever you open
your refrigerator door, about one third of the cold air escapes.
3. Do not leave any electronics on after you are finished with them. Turn off the tv, video games, ipad, computers, lights, and other electronic things.
4. Use cold water for a washing machine instead of hot water. Hot water wastes a lot of energy and does not get the clothes any cleaner.
Food Waste Statistics